7/31/2015

Smoothie Of Champions


by Michelle



With it being summer –at least where I live- and the sudden hype of getting fit and eating healthier, smoothie bowls have become the latest craze.
As an avid user of Tumblr I had seen numerous pictures of these beautifully crafted smoothies, but I never got around to making one myself, mainly because I’m not the best smoothie maker (I’m an ace milkshake maker to be honest) and also because I had absolutely no idea of how to achieve the perfect smoothie bowl. I was first introduced to them in real life by my really good friend and soon to be roommate, Giovanna. This is what this blog post is about, achieving through some pointers I’ve acquired through making this recipe multiple times and getting as close to perfection as we can get.

Although perfection is a relative term, with the following steps you will obtain the needed consistency and a portion that fills you up for at least three hours. 

What I like the most about this dish is that you can have it at any time of the day; whether it’s as breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert or as a snack. You can also have as much fun as you want with it; for example, adding chocolate chips, nutella or peanut butter can make it more indulgent and suitable for dessert. Whereas adding fruit and granola makes it the perfect breakfast. It truly is up to you, what you’re craving at that moment, and the time of the day you want to have it. I for one tend to have it as breakfast with as much fruit and granola as possible, or as dinner if it’s too late to have any other type of food, or if I just want something quick and easy to make. 



Without any further ado here’s what you will need for this recipe:



INGREDIENTS

A blender
Frozen strawberries
Frozen black raspberries
Coconut Water
Water
A banana
Mango chunks
Granola
Blueberries
Black raspberries
A bowl
A spoon

STEPS 

To start off we are going to put half a cup of the frozen black raspberries and six medium to large frozen strawberries in the blender. Then we are going to pour a fourth of a cup of coconut water and a fourth of a cup of water into the blender, and blend it all together until we are left with a thick mixture. You might have to take a spoon and move the mixture around a bit before you get the consistency you need because of how little liquid we have.

As a visual aid here’s a picture of the consistency we are looking for:


Once we get to this consistency we are going to take the bowl or plate of choice where you are going to plate your smoothie bowl and pour two tablespoons of granola on the empty plate. The reason why I add some granola before I serve the mixture is because that way I have enough granola for the entire serving and not just the amount we are going to add on top of it.

After adding the granola on the empty bowl we are going to slowly and carefully pour the mixture into the bowl, usually I just pout it straight from the NutriBullet container, but if you need to just spoon it out of the blender.
Now for the fun part we are going to add our toppings. Usually I add two tablespoons of granola in a diagonal line on top of the mixture; in each side I add my chopped fruit and voila, ready to eat.

As I said before, the beauty of the smoothie bowl is that you can make it different each and every single time. You can change up the fruits used for the smoothie as long as they are frozen. Same with the toppings, you can definitely use different fruits, these are just the ones I had at hand, and you can add more fruit or not use any at all.

Before I leave I want to give you a random tip on how I eat my smoothie bowl. Once I plate it and take a picture of it because let’s be real, more often than not these concoctions are Instagram worthy, I take my spoon and mix it all up. It ends up looking like a right mess but it gives me what I like to call perfect bites, which are bites with granola and one or two of the fruits used.

It has been a pleasure for me to share one of my current obsessions with you, as well as contributing with the wonderful people of Freearth. Please do let me know if you make it and end up enjoying it through my twitter and/or instagram pages.

The foodie at heart,






Instagram: @miorni
Twitter: @miorni









No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to know from you! :)